Interested applicants can fill out an application, found below at bottom of page. Applications need to be submitted with a cover letter. Please return letter and application to:
Brewster Recreation Department
2298 Main St
Brewster, MA 02631
Positions listed until filled. Please continue to check here or call our office for more information.
Available Positions (updated 3/21) - See job descriptions below.
- Sailing Instructor
- Summer Rec Counselor
35 – 40 Hours/Week
$11.00 - $14.00/hour
JOB SUMMARY: A position which requires professional and organized instruction for a recreational sailing program.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Report to Sailing Director
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
A Sailing Instructor will help instruct lessons for a seasonal recreational summer sailing program for ages 8+. This job involves a high degree of contact with both adults and children in a service, consulting, and disciplinarian format as well as on a personal level. It should be a goal for the Sailing Instructor to be a role model for the sailing Youth Leaders and program participants.
Learn and implement the curriculum for a seven week summer sailing program and have a general knowledge of boat and equipment maintenance.
Prior experience with working as a coach / instructor in a sailing program is required. Experience with the racing rules and racing on variety of sailboats at variety of competition levels is preferred. A working knowledge of outboard engines, rigging and fiberglass repair, and general boat maintenance is helpful but not necessary. Must posses excellent communication, organization, and mediation skills. Individuals should be enthusiastic, diplomatic, flexible, trustworthy, self-motivated, creative, and able to take the initiative and follow through. Must have current First Aid and CPR certifications.
20-25 Hours Weekly
RESPONSIBLE TO: Recreation Director
SUPERVISED BY: Playground Director & Asst. Playground Director for daily activities and overall job performance
RESPONSIBILITIES: Implement the daily lesson of the Playground Program under the guidance and direction of the Playground Director, communication with students and assure safety at all times. Assure adherence with established goals and objectives.
* Be aware of your enormous influence on the students in you’re in charge of and strive to model the highest ethical and moral conduct.
* Responsible for the children’s safety, participation and overall enjoyment of the programs.
* Take an active role in the prevention of drug, alcohol and tobacco use.
* Assist all students to develop to their full potential.
* Maintain a high level of safety and structure within the program.
* Maintain an accountability system for equipment and supplies.
* Complete incident/accident reports in the First Aid Log and immediately report such occurrences to Recreation Director.
* Build and maintain students spirits and morale..
* Report physical facility hazards in a timely manner to Playground Director
* Assist the Recreation Director in all other duties assigned.
1+ years working with children. Specialized skills in special events, arts & crafts, sports, games and working with school aged youth.
Moderate physical effort required for work performed in the field. Required to spend several hours standing, walking, reaching arms and lifting under 50lbs.
Under close supervision of the Swim Director or Recreation Director performs professional duties in ensuring effective performance of lifeguard functions. Ensures safety of patrons in and around the pond and monitoring swimmers and to enforce all safety rules.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
* Performs all lifeguard responsibilities including monitoring pond activities, applying first aid, and performing water rescues as necessary.
* Keeps the Recreation Director well informed of pond/beach maintenance needs including cleaning and repairs.
* Inventories and recognizes when supplies or equipment need to be ordered and communicates the needs to the Swim Director or Recreation Director.
* Interfaces with patrons regarding concerns, problems, or any other significant issues. Provides input and feedback while responding to problems.
* Ensures that aquatic programs are occurring as desired and assists with the overall management of swimming events.
Education and Experience
-- Must be at least 16 years of age.
-- Must possess American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Certification.
-- Must possess American Red Cross Training certification in Community First Aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer.
-- Ability to pass a prepared water test.
-- Must be willing to work mornings, mid-day, weekends, and holidays.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
-- Working knowledge of lifesaving techniques including backboard rescue.
-- Strong swimming and life saving abilities.
-- Ability to communicate effectively with patrons, supervisors, and other employees.
-- Ability to remain alert, attentive, and responsible.
-- Ability to be a team player.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, stand, sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
-- While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally is exposed to wet and dry conditions.
-- The employee may be exposed to stressful situations as a result of human behavior.